Monday, May 18, 2015

Relics from early 1800s, 1860s, and 1900s from the same site.

Went metal detecting at a place I have been to over and over.  The site was inhabited from the early 1800s until the early 2000s when it burned.  It still produces relics and a whole lot of trash






From the top to bottom it looks like I found items from three different time periods:

1) Round ball and flat button - Early 1800s
2) 3 ringer mini-ball and canister shot - 1860s
3) 1951 Wheat Cent and lipstick case - 1940s/50s

I can't date the buckle.  I am thinking it is a piece of horse related tack.  I found it near, and at the same depth, as the 3 ringer mini-ball.


The round ball and flat button.  The flat button still has the loop on it.





The mini-ball and canister shot.  I know both sides passed through the area many times during the Civil War.






The brass buckle.  It looks like there would have been a piece on the back where a belt or harness would have fed through it. 

The Wheat Cent and Lipstick Case:



No comments:

Post a Comment