Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Doe River and Roan Mountain State Park

I got the opportunity to fish the Doe River the other day.  It was cool, sort of rainy, the clouds were low, the river was flowing good, and it had some color in it.  Perfect fishing weather for me.  I stopped at a pull-off just inside the Roan Mountain State Park and just below the visitors center.  I walked down the road for a few hundred feet and started fishing upstream toward the visitor's center.  I started off fishing with a yellow stimulator with a small dropper fly (hare's ear nymph) about 16 inches below.  I pick up a couple of small Rainbows on the nymph, but the minnows were hitting it over and over and dragging the stimulator under so I got rid of the nymph.  That was a good choice.  After that I pulled several nice Rainbows and then two nice Browns.  I picked up both Browns in classic Brown trout habitat.  One was hiding near an undercut bank with a deep channel just out from it and the other was hiding under a bush that was hanging out over a nice deep channel.  I also managed to pick up two Rainbows on successive casts right after I caught the second Brown.  I bet I hadn't made more than 2 - 3 casts after catching that Brown and then strike, land, release, fix/adjust, cast, strike, land, release.  I will say that there is nothing like a nice fish smashing a fly and fighting it on a fly rod.  That is some great fun.    




No comments:

Post a Comment