Sunday, December 30, 2012

Paint Creek


Did a couple of hours of fishing in Paint Creek the other day and had some pretty good luck.  I caught one rainbow that was around 17 +/- inches on a double nymph rig with a floating strike indicator.   I had the nymphs tied about a foot or so apart with a heavier nymph on the bottom.  The rig looked like:

{           1 ft              }
nymph--------nymph-------------strike indicator/float tied at connection with leader-------fly line
{                     3 ft                       }

The water was a bit cloudy from rain and the flow looked a bit high.


I was fishing deep runs and had the rig set to allow the nymphs to get down to about 3 feet.  I slowly fished up a nice looking run and when I got about 1/2 through it BAM, a nice firm strike that doubled my fly rod over!  I set the hook as soon as I felt the hit and started playing the fish.  She surfaced and my fist thought was that I had a nice fish.  With the light rig I was using I was afraid the line would break so I had to play her a little.  It took me a few minutes to get her in, but it was worth the fight.  I love landing a nice fish.






For more information on Paint Creek (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cherokee/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=34910&actid=43)

No comments:

Post a Comment