Wednesday, April 18, 2012

SKS Stock Replacement

I replaced the stock on an old SKS.  This a good video to watch before you start the project.  I even referred to it a couple of times during the build.


I got the TAPCO stock and mags from MidwayUSA.  Here are the instructions that came with the stock (Instructions).  They are pretty good.  If you have a bayonet, you do have to make sure you get a stock that will take the bayonet.  I took the bayonet off of mine.

I didn't buy the TAPCO gas tube.  If I do it again with another SKS I will spend the extra $60.00 and buy the new gas tube.  It was pretty tough to get that pin out of the original.  If you want to use the original gas tube, I would suggest having something like a Drimmel tool, a nail punch, and a hammer handy.  I used the Drimmel to grind the edges of the pin in the gas tube off so I could then use the nail punch and hammer to pound the pin out.  After I got the pin out of the gas tube putting the other one in wasn't too bad.  I used the hammer to put the new pin in and then used the Drimmel to grind the excess away.

I also used the Drimmel to ever so slightly grind a couple of parts down so I could get the stock on.  Other than that the stock went on smooth.  The trigger group was kind of difficult to put back on because of the design (it's a metal clip) and the pistol grip requires some torque to get it on (I used a ratchet with an extension), but overall it wasn't a hard build.

The kit make the weapon a lot easier to hold and gives you a lot more options to mount optics add accessories, etc....  It isn't the prettiest weapon on the block, but it should work.  One of the cool features that I liked was the you could put the cleaning kit (or something else like a small survival kit) into the M4 style stock.  The stock is hollow and is sealed with a rubber plug.

I hope to add some more on the SKS.  Now get outdoors!!!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment